Saturday 7 April 2012

Daiko Spear SRS832L 60th Anniversary Blue Label Rod

With my fondness for fishing with light tackle, recently picked this rod up with the intention of using it for small plugs and vib metals. A little longer than my other light game rods, 8'3 in length, with a casting range of 2-14g. This is the tubular tip version, but there is also an 8'3 solid tip model available as well.

The rod is a Daiko Spear SRS832L 60th Anniversary Blue Label. The look and finish of the rod is superb. The tackle tart inside me loves the fact the deep transluscent blue finish, with the weave shining through in the light, matches the colour of the Daiwa Certate reels I use. The guides are the now familiar Fuji K type titaniums.






I have only had a quick test session with it, when I took the above pics. Casting a 7g surface plug, distance was not a problem, and working it back, great action can easily be achieved. The rod also performed great with a 3g jig head and 2" soft lure, but the hard lures are where I will be using this rod most. With work being super-busy over the last few weeks, have not had the opportunity to get out fishing,  but hopefully in the coming weeks, I will be putting this rod through it's paces, and will be able to provide some good feedback on it.

If you want to know some more about this rod, and also the solid tip version that is also available, drop me a message to gunningpk@hotmail.com and I will put you onto the chap who has brought a few of these rods into the UK from Japan.

2 comments:

  1. are these rods built in china

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are built in China. From what I understand, reason for this is that Daiko wanted to build a 60TH anniversary rod, from high quality components, but to be more affordable in the market place. In order to achieve the affordability, the build was outsourced to China. The finish of the rod is easily on par with my Nories or Daiwa morethan Branzino. The blank it'self is 97% carbon, and has the Fuji Titanium K guides. I also believe that due to keeping the retail price down, Daiko are making little to no profit on them. I can put you in touch with the chap I got mine from if you want to know more? Cheers.

      Delete