Thursday 1 March 2012

Return to the Reservoir

Headed out for my fourth visit to the reservoir I have been trying my luck at over the past few weeks. Conditions were beautiful, glorious start to March, mild, clear water and not a breath of wind, with the sun rising on an early start.



Decided to fish with just soft plastics today, and with 2 rods. One for lures to around 15g, and one for the ultralight stuff up to around 5g. To help with the presentation of the SP's, especially the sub 2" softs, I got hold of some 10lb Drennen Soft Strand microfilament Pike wire, and the bits and bobs needed to make up some fine wire traces. This wire was a massive improvement, and did not seem to impact on the action of the light lures.

I was hoping to get some Pike action, but the closest I came was a fish on for around five seconds, before it came off. Reeling in the soft, it was apparent it had taken the tail half of the 6" Sawamura One Up Shad, missing the hook, which had pulled through to the nose of the lure. As I worked the various spots down one side of the Reservoir, I saw many Pike holding in the shallows, amongst the reeds, some just cruising the shallows next to the bank. I had a decent amount of follows to various lures, but nothing taken!

So a switch over to the ultralight tackle, and a chance to hunt the Perch. Had many micro Perch, some from a nearby stream, and some from the weir pool off the dam. These fish were going mad for 2" Ecogear Aqua lures. Heading back to the reservoir bank, working the deep end close in, had a take from my biggest fish of the day, and my biggest Perch so far, falling for a 2" Reins Rockvibe paddle tail softie. Each fresh water session leaves me with a little more knowledge, hopefully soon I will find that elusive bigger Pike!





4 comments:

  1. Nice one Paul another great post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent blog. Interested in the SPs you are using for perch. The Reins Rockvibe shads sound ideal. Do you use any of the other Reins SPs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. David - Perch fishing is pretty new to me, but the Reins Rockvibes, especially the 2" ones seem to work really well, be it on the drop, a slow steady retrieve of vertical jigging close in. I have the 2" in 3 different colours, but I tend to use the Ecogear softs, so no other Reins lures for me. I should get some more from them, as they are really excellent soft plastics.

    ReplyDelete