Saturday 18 February 2012

Nories Rods

I have been using rods from Nories for just over a year now, so thought I would put some of my thoughts on them into the Blog. I am by no means an expert on rods, their designs, or even actions, but I know what I like, what feels good in my hand when working a lure and when a fish is on the other end!

My first Nories rod I bought was a RockFish Bottom Light. From there I went on to buy a Slow Retrieve, SeaBass Program and a RockFish Bottom Ultra Light. From my first few days of owning a Nories, I knew it was a little bit special, the feel of the rods and the build quality are superb, and I had great confidence in adding a few more to the collection.

First up is my Nories Slow Retrieve SR74F. This rod is 7'4" long, with a lure weight of around 0.9-5g. Now I have to admit, this is my favorite rod I own. I love the look of this rod, the feel of the cork grip, and the way it just loves to bend! It does have a short handle, I often find myself casting one handed with this rod, especially as it is for use with light tackle. This rod is all about the amazing sensitivity. It's a tubular tip rod, but can feel like a solid at times. With this rod I am able to work the Harbour, hunting the mini species with tiny lures, jig heads etc... picking up the tiniest bites. It can work really well as an LRF rod. I find I am able to cast a great variety of lure types on it, from tiny soft plastics, ultra light plugs and small metal jigs and vibs.

Where I really like to use this rod is out on the coast line. When the conditions allow you to present a small lure successfully, the Slow Retrieve comes into it's own. This year I have had good success on the Wrasse and Bass using it, I even had my Bass PB on this rod, at just over 5lb, using a small sub 5g plug. It's not a rod for all occasions tho, as I would not use it to target Wrasse in areas of thick kelp for example, you don't wanna be trying to pull a 5lb Wrasse through thick weed with it. As I mentioned above, this rod really bends! It does this with a powerful butt section for it's size, which I believe is what helps to tame the bigger fish so well. This also allows it to protect fine light lines as well, such as 3lb fluoro's or braids around the 0.3PE range.

Nories Slow Retrieve SR74F


Fuji K Guides (titanium)


Bending Into A Wrasse



The Nories SeaBass Program 72LLS Tide Controller is a 7'2 rod, with a lure weight of 5-12g. This rod, although 2 piece, is a long tip section with a handle. One way you can describe this rod, is as a beefed up version of the Slow Retrieve. Again, amazing sensitivity, and a rod that likes to bend, but with a higher casting weight. The lower weight of 5g can be a bit misleading, as this rod will work lures, be it hard or soft plastics closer to around 2g in my experience. I bought this rod for light plugging, but quickly found it also works very well for the softs, with great bottom bouncing sensitivity. To look at and hold this rod, you cant help but be impressed by the awesome design of the handle. The rings on the long tip section are all Fuji Titanium. This rod might not fit into everyones collection, but if you want a specific rod, to work across a relatively light weight lure range, I can highly recommend it.

Nories SeaBass Program 72LLS Tide Controller


Long Tip Section


The final two rods in my Nories Collection are the RockFish Bottom Light & Ultra Light. The Ultra Light is 6'10 and 1.8-7g, with the Light being 6'10 and 7-15g. The Light was the first Nories rod I bought. Purchased as a soft lure specific rod, I was not disappointed. This is my go-to soft plastics rod, whether targeting Bass or Wrasse, with lures rigged on jig heads, Texas, Carolina, Wacky, Drop-shot etc... A shorter rod, it's what I also like to use when out fishing from my little Zodiac boat in the Summer months, tight in on the coast line. A stiffer rod in the hand in comparison to the SeaBass Program, it really does excel in reading the bottom contact. I have chucked the occasional plug with this rod, but really it is suited to close range soft plastic work. It has great feel when using fluoro straight through, something I am finding myself fishing more often with this rod.

Nories RockFish Bottom Light



Fuji Stainless Guides


The Ultra Light version of the RockFish rod is the baby brother of the light. Visually the same, with a slightly thinner blank. This range of rods use a different colour thread on the whipping to help differentiate them. I often partner this rod with the Slow Retrieve, one with fluoro straight through, the other with a low PE braid, allowing different lures and styles to be fished without the need to re-rig or tie leaders etc... Fishing light drop-shot with this rod has been very successful, it's short length really at home in the Harbour for short range fishing. Again, a rod I really like to target the Wrasse with, but the conditions and environment has to be right. One difference between this rod and the Light, I really like to use it for small plugs. Be it surface of diving, this rod works hard plastics withing it's range beautifully. You will be surprised at just how far it will cast a 6g plug if needed. This has lent it to become my rod of choice for my new ventures into the fresh water species. Being only 6'10, you can cast easily in the tight spots of the tree lined banks. Both the RockFish rods have Fuji Stainless guides, and are very light rods in the hand.

Nories RockFish Bottom Ultra Light



Light & Ultralight Together


My Nories Collection


I got my Nories rods from Ben @ Art Of Fishing He also carries a wide range of Nories lures. If you want to find out more about Nories, check his shop out above, or take a look at the Nories website, which has a handy English version http://www.nories.com/

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic review !!
    Realy helpfulll, thanks mate!

    Cheers Harold

    ReplyDelete