Saturday 16 July 2011

New Species & My First Off The Top 12-07-2011

Headed out to an area East of Salcombe, and fished an area I regularly visit, but instead, headed in the opposite direction to similar grounds, that I had not fished from before. The sea was about as flat as it gets, now swell at all and a light offshore breeze.


I was using the Daiwa morethan Branzino Urban Side Custom (5-24g) paired with a Daiwa '10 Certate 2508 loaded with Sunline Castaway 1PE braid. Started out with a Zonk 120, and second cast into deep water, hooked into a fish. Strange fight, flash of silver, thought I had a small Bass. Then it jumped from the water a few times, and when landed, seems I had caught a Sea Trout. This is a new species for me. There were some tiny little lice type creatures on its body. 



Few more casts with the Zonk, and a Pollack landed. Switched over to a small OSP Asura lure, and had a pollack a cast for a while, as they nailed it from close in. Also took a few on a SP Carolina rigged. Took a total of 13 Pollack today on various lures.


Then I decided it was time for me to try out a surface lure. I have never tried it before, but with the delivery this week of a Xorus Frosty and a Patchinko 100, wanted to see what I was missing out on. These things really do cast well, took me a few goes to work out how to work it, but my WTD is now in it's early stages! Then when at distance, had my first take and fish off the top! Not what I was expecting, I landed a Mackerel on the Frosty;


Fished on, trying out the baby Patchinko, had numerous Pollack breaching and jumping at it whilst retrieved, some flicking the lure through the air. Manage to connect with a few, and landing around 4 Pollack off the top;



Have to say, I can see why a lot of people fish off the top, very addictive, and great fun when 2 or 3 fish are jumping around, slashing at the lure. Will deffo be trying for the Bass this way.

End of the session, decided to cast out a Dexter Wedge at distance, and was not long till I hooked and landed my second Mackerel of the day, finishing off a fun session. The terrain screamed Wrasse, but will save them for next time I think.



2 comments:

  1. Awesome report mate, ild love to catch a sea trout on a lure. im sure it will happen one day.. Megabass zonks get the big thumbs up in my book. rainbow pearl all the way

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was a welcome surprise for sure. The Zonks are great, cast well, feel good to use and certainly do produce the fish as well. Never tried a hinged bin version tho, always stuck with the fixed version.

    ReplyDelete