Monday 13 December 2010

LRF Estuary Pollack

Very different session in comparison to my last try at LRF, which was in a Penzance town harbour. I decided to fish the flooding tide a couple of hours before high, off one of the small boat house quays at Bantham. The neap tides meant although there was a tidal current, as the water pushed through the narrowing estuary, just round the corner from the beach, it was not too strong to over power the small LRF tackle.

The water was gin clear, pitch black surroundings, and very still, amazingly peaceful. Started out with a 2" Reins Rockvibe Gold Legend on a 1.4g Decoy head, casting out into the moving water, and slowly drawing the lure back to me, with small, smooth lifts of the rod tip.

After around 10 mins, had my first take, away from the channel, and on the drop. Imediately could tell this fish was much bigger than any of the small harbour specimens I had previously caught. On the lightweight LRF gear, it really gave a good account of it'self. Clicked the head torch on, to see a Pollack fighting below me. Next problem, how to get it out of the water - It was too heavy to simply lift out on the rod tip. So I needed to work my way round to some steps, where it was photographed and released. Had to change my lure, as the Pollack had bitten the paddle tail off. I stuck my finger next to it for scale.


Continued on, now with a King Silver Rockvibe on. Shortly after, another bite on the drop. Fair bit of line taken, then nothing, stuck, fish had gone to ground. Could not simply bully it out, gear was too light. Gave some slack, a bit of movement, and the fight continued till I had another Pollack landed, biggest one of the night.




All fish were taken on the drop, with a very slow retrieve with small, steady lifts. The water was not very deep where the fish were taken, maybe 8' at most. Again, most impressed with the Varivas rod. Although very supple in the tip, with these fish, it showed it had some backbone as well, leading to a hugely enjoyable sport. To be fair, I probably could have fished my normal plugging rod, with regular sized soft plastics to get these fish. I went to this spot with no expectations, so was very happy to hook into one fish, let alone 4 within the short hour of actual fishing time.

No comments:

Post a Comment